My dairy-free friend Valerie made a recommendation for an alfredo sauce recipe from Silk’s website. She came over today and we made it!
It came out deliciously – almost better than my normal dairy-inclusive version! It smelled and tasted just like regular alfredo. We made the pasta with cashew milk and took the liberty of a couple of adjustments. Here’s the modified recipe I made (you can add any kind of meat or fish for protein as well!):
- 16 oz fettuccine
- 3 Tbsp canola oil, divided
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 4 Tbsp chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 cups Silk Unsweetened Cashew Milk (or soy milk)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup Trader Joe’s vegan mozzarella-style shreds
- Fresh chopped parsley for garnish
- Prepare fettuccine according to package directions.
- While fettuccine is cooking, saute chopped onion and garlic over medium heat in 1 Tbsp oil until fragrant and translucent.
- Remove onion and garlic to separate dish and reserve.
- Add remaining oil to pan and stir in flour and stock. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Stir in cashew milk, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, white pepper, and nutmeg.
- Whisk cornstarch into 1/4 c. cold water and stir into sauce.
- Add vegan cheese and return to simmer. Allow to thicken, stirring constantly.
- Stir in onion and garlic and pour over prepared fettuccine and stir well. Top with chopped parsley for garnish.
Recipe modified from https://silk.com/recipes/fast-easy-fettuccine-alfredo.