Alright folks, here it is. Late in the day but as promised, a delicious new protein-packed entree. I’ve seen several like this on the interwebs, but this is my own personal design. One serving of this recipe will count for 3 ounces of protein, a half a cup of vegetables, and a half-serving of dairy on the MyPlate meal plan. For this recipe you will require:
2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 large sweet onion
1 large green bell pepper
1 medium jalapeno pepper
1 can (15 oz) low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed)
1 medium tomato (chopped)
1 can heart-healthy cream of mushroom soup
Ground red pepper or cayenne pepper to taste
2 ounces whole corn tortilla chips
1 cup shredded low-fat cheese (Mexican blends work well here)
1/2 tablespoon dried or 1 tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
- Bake chicken breasts at 400 degrees for 10 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- While chicken is cooling, chop onion and peppers. Saute in olive oil over medium heat until soft.
- Shred cooked chicken with a fork and place in a large bowl. Add sauteed vegetables, black beans, tomato, soup, and spices (some like it hot!). Stir well.
- Crush the tortilla chips with your hands and spread half on the bottom of a 9″x13″ pan. Spread half of the chicken mixture on top of that, followed by half of the cheese.
- Repeat layers one more time: chips, chicken mixture, cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and top with cilantro. Delicioso!
Recipe makes about 12 servings. Each serving contains 229 calories, 14 g carbohydrate, 5 g fat, 31 g protein, and 301 mg sodium. Nutrition info calculated using www.myfitnesspal.com.